Rural Health Experience
2) Understand the roles and responsibilities of different healthcare providers in a rural community.
3) Reflect on a future career as a healthcare provider in a rural community and potential interest in this location as a future career location.
Components of the RHE
1) Shadowing of practicing clinicians from various hospital departments including but not limited to: EMT/ER, physician, pharmacist, physical therapist, social worker, public health professional.
2) Shadowing of tech level positions i.e. x-ray tech, ultra sound tech.
3) Meetings with administration and CEO, when applicable
4) Student attendance at an inter-professional team meeting, such as discharge planning, when applicable
5) Student report and program evaluation
Undergraduate and graduate students, as well as professional students in health professions programs. Preference goes to students already in graduate or professional programs. Students must have strong interest in working in a rural community.
Basic housing and meals are provided. Students must have reliable transportation while on site.
The RHE is offered in the summer season. The Summer 2018 application and updated site listing will be available mid-February. Limited placements may be available during fall and spring seasons.
In addition to the application, the following documents are needed to apply:
Two-page Personal Statement – should reflect why you are interested in learning about:
- Other health professions
- Rural immersion
- Rural healthcare
- Current curriculum vitae or resume
- Letter of recommendation from a faculty instructor or advisor
- $25 application fee. Checks can be made out to the University of Illinois
Previous RHE sites:
Warner Hospital and Health Services, Clinton IL
Farirield Memorial Hospital, Fairfield, IL
Katherine Shaw Bethea Hospital, Dixon, IL
Perry Memorial Hospital, Princeton, IL
Paris Community Hospital, Paris, IL
Pinckneyville Community Hospital, Pinckneyville, IL
Taylorville Memorial Hospital, Taylorville, IL
SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital, Centralia, IL
Click here for the 2018 RHE BROCHURE. Click here for an example of a STUDENT SCHEDULE.
Vicky Rhine, MPH
Assistant Director of External and Pipeline Projects
email@example.com | 815.395.5854.