6-Week Summer Preceptorships
The 6-Week Rural Interprofessional Summer Preceptorship Program is a rural immersion experience for health professions students. It is a paid, full-time shadowing opportunity set in a rural Illinois community.
This rural internship provides an opportunity for highly motivated students to learn in a real-world setting that promotes health professionals from different disciplines working together and supports learning through active and organized participation in the community.
What to expect as a preceptorship intern:
- Complete over 15 days of shadowing different healthcare providers including physicians, pharmacists, nurses, mental health specialists, public health professionals, lab technicians, etc.
- Coordinate a Community Service Learning (CSL) Project focused on a real-life community health priority with an interprofessional intern group
- Participate in a three-day orientation of the hospital and local community, including the completion of a windshield tour
Attend healthcare team meetings to observe interprofessional communication
To learn about the social and health characteristics, needs, and resources
of a specific rural community
- Have increased awareness, knowledge, and appreciation for a variety of health professions disciplines and their responsibilities
- To reflect on a future career as a healthcare provider in a rural community
Have a better understanding of community health interventions
Preceptorship students are exposed to all aspects of a rural community. Students will receive a $1,500 stipend and, in addition, housing and limited meals are provided by the host sites. Time is available during the week and on weekends for students to explore the community.
Students of all health disciplines are encouraged to apply, but students must have completed sophomore year of undergraduate studies by the start of the program. Four to six students representing different health professions are chosen for each experience.
The 2020 experience will be offered at two rural sites:Gibson Area Hospital and Health Services
Gibson City, IL
May 27- July 7, 2020
SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital
June 3 – July 14, 2020
The application package can be accessed HERE.
The application deadline is Sunday, February 9, 2020
For more information:
Check out the Program Brochure
View the Gibson City FAQ Sheet and Centralia FAQ Sheet
See an example of a Student Schedule
Vicky Rhine, MPH
Assistant Director of External and Pipeline Projects
firstname.lastname@example.org | 815.395.5854