Rural Health Careers Camp
Are you interested in learning about job opportunities in the healthcare field? Do you need help preparing for the college application process? Are you looking to meet other high school students with similar interests to yours?
The Rural Health Careers Camp can help you with all this and more!
The Rural Health Careers Camp is a four-day, overnight educational program for students interested in the healthcare field. Students will participate in hands-on learning activities and labs that represent different healthcare careers and stay in the dorms at Rockford University to experience living on a college campus!
What to expect as a camper
- Participate in over 25 activities related to healthcare professions including, but not limited to: accident simulation, dissection lab, college information session, hospital tour, and CPR certification.
- Learn directly from current healthcare professionals and have the opportunity to ask them about why they love their career
- Work with camp counselors, who are current health professions students
- Receive information, advice, and resources related to: the healthcare field, health professions training, academic requirements, financial aid, and campus life
- Make new friends from the area with similar interests
Now accepting applications for the 2020 Rural Health Careers Camp!
- June 22-25, 2020 at Rockford University
- Up to 50 campers from rural Illinois communities
- Four days of hands-on activities and labs related to healthcare professions
- Accident simulation with Rockford emergency medical professions
- Visit to the UIC Health Sciences Campus- Rockford
- Financial aid presentation with parents
- Recreational activities within the community
Check out our new Rural Health Careers Camp video HERE to see more of the camp experience!
Who should apply
We are looking for rural Illinois students who are passionate about helping others and would like to know more about getting into careers that will help them get there
We accept students from the following counties, with preference for underclassmen students: Boone, Bureau, Carroll, DeKalb, Henderson, Henry, JoDaviess, Knox, LaSalle, Lee, Mercer, Ogle, Putnam, Rock Island, Stark, Stephenson, Warren, Whiteside and Winnebago. Seniors and students outside of these counties will be considered, pending availability.
The cost of the camp is an all-inclusive $100 fee, which covers all activities, meals, and housing. The camp fee is not due until campers are notified of their acceptance to the program.
Please review our FAQ Page and Camp Brochure before applying.
Students must fill out an application in order to be considered. Applications are due Sunday, March 1, 2020.
Health professions students interested in serving as camp counselors or camp counselor leaders can now apply! Both positions are paid opportunities and allow students to develop their leadership and mentoring experience.
Please review the official job description to learn about the responsibilities of each position as well as to begin your application.
Applications for the camp counselor and camp counselor leader positions are due Sunday, March 1, 2020.
The camp is a partnership between the National Center for Rural Health Professions (NCRHP) University of Illinois Rockford, Rockford University, Community Foundation of Northern Illinois, Illinois Area Health Education Center and the Illinois Critical Access Hospital Network (ICAHN).